Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The difference a table can make...






You can use a table for an assortment of things...eating, studying, shelving things, even sitting on top of and so much more. I realized the importance of a table while at university - I can get nothing, and I mean nothing, done without a table...and a chair and headphones to block out noise so I can work or course. This is one piece of furniture that has been at the top of my list since moving into my new place last month but the last thing I've purchased. I was holding out on getting one 'donated' like the rest of the things in the apartment but my procrastination and outright laziness needed to come to an end. I've taken pretty much a month off for any serious work and it's time to get back on the train/bus/car/motobike that is moving forward. My latest investment is a table and I'm ready to work.

Happy 4th of July!!
 I celebrated America's independence by indulging in a delicious burger at one of the only places the sell real hamburgers. I splurged, most meals will run me anywhere from 35 cents to 2$... this one was almost $5 but so very worth it.

Largest papyia EVER brought to you by
Bonga Juice, Molyko, Buea.
For my birthday, a friend and I traveled North to Ngaoudéré in the Adamawa region of Cameroon. What a culturally different region! The vegetation and much of the scenery was similar to that of the South but the food and life style were quite contrasting.

A Peace Corps friend from Buea gave me the contact info of Walid, someone who lives up there and would probably show us around the town and what not.

Starting on the left and ending on the right: 16 hour train ride with 18 stops!
Welcome to the train ride from hell
When we arrived at the train station in Ngaoundéré, I called Walid and he came straight away to pick us up.


We were lucky enough to be put up in his guest room at his house. He even took us touring all around the Adamoua region...
Upon arrival we went a bit out of the city a small ranch that was build by one of Walid's friends, they are in the Rotary Club together and everyone was invited out to celebrate the completion of the ranch. We hiked around a bit, were fed delicious food and I learned a bit of Fulfulde. Fulfulde is the language spoken by the Fula or Fulani people. The Fulani are the largest ethnic group in all 3 regions in the North of Cameroon (Adamoua, North, Extreme North). They are are Islamic pastoralists. Although it is a Francophone region, Fulfulde is the common language and French is the language of formal education.

 Fulfulde Crash Course!!!

For those of you who are inspired to travel to West Africa.


Hello. Salaamu Aleykum (This is an Arabic phrase I heard first when in Senegal. It's used when entering an area and used in most Muslim dominated areas).
Hello. Sannu, Sannuko
How are you? Jam na?
How is your health? Jam bandu na?
Fine, thank you. Jam koo dume.
What is your name? Noy innde ma?
My name is ______. Innde am ______.  
Please. Useni.
Thank you. Useko.
You're welcome.  Koydum 
Yes. Ohoo.  
No. Kay.


First we went to Lake Tison (aka Lac Tizon). This is a volcanic crater lake not too far from Ngaoundéré. According to the locals, the lake changes color every now and then. Not too many people swim in the lake, the depth is unknown. We had the place to ourselves and hiking around for about 30-40min.

Lake Tizon



Lake Tizon


Vina Falls is after Lake Tison and not too much further down the same road (Meiganga road). It started to rain as we arrived to we werent able to hike around as I was hoping. It is about a 30m (~100ft) waterfall and really pumping right now since it is rainy season.



We headed to another crater lake called Lake Mbalang that is much less scenic and less popular


Walid brought us to hike Mount Ngaoundéré early one morning. We were hoping to get there for sunrise but missed it by about 30min. The view was still spectacular. If I ever lived in Ngaoundéré I would make hiking the mountain every morning my workout - it was a perfect work out and a rewarding view.

Mount Ngaoundéré: Some people say it looks like a breast and nipple...
View of Ngaoundéré from the top of the mountain.
Tello Falls are by far the most popular attraction in the area. On the weekends you can find plenty of expats and locals relaxing on the beach and even swimming. The smaller waterfall is perfect for a shower! It was even a beautiful hike down to the waterfall..

on our way down...

View from behind


Our friend Walid was so charmed by Monica and I that he named his new turtles after us:
Monnie and Toni!
I was challenged to a game of basketball...
I hadn't played since 2009..
 If I won, Walid would pay off my student loans. If he won, Monica and I would come back up for a visit...

I was a bit rusty at the start.. he won the first game and I killed him in the second (both up to 11). I was going to die from being so out of shape so we agreed that we would play the final game in August when I returned for Walid's birthday.
 
I spent my birthday amongst several Peace Corps volunteers who live in villages surrounding Ngaoundere. It was a really different experience being surrounded by 'white Westerners' - I'm not too sure I enjoyed it all that much. It's true what they say about Americans... they sure can be obnoxious! :D I hope I'm not like that...

The one good thing that came out of that night was meeting a beautiful young Laywer named Aysha. I was getting an egg sandwich before heading home for the night and she was waiting for hers. We struck up a converstaion (in French of course), talked about the North, Buea, the work I was doing, how much I LOVE Cameroon, and in the end... she invited me to her house the following day to try a local meal, Foloré and couscous. You might remember reading about Foloré from another blog post, but this one is food as opposed to a drink. And a scrumptious food it is!!

Aysha's son

Foloré and couscous!
When we came back from Adamoua... there was mouse droppings EVERY where, half of our food was eaten into and our clothes were moldy as heck. Here I am with a boot in my hand chasing the mouse around the house... I did end up getting it!

"THAT MOUSE WILL DIE!"

An old snapshot from a day visit to Limbe!

New Foods:

Foloré with 'couscous' (only found in the north!) (couscous is actually just fufu but its what the francophones call it)

I am running out of new foods because I have tried them all!


Update on my life...
My internship is over August 5th.
I dont know what I am doing with my life but I am learning to appreciate the 'place in the middle' as they call it in yoga.
The unknown... its exciting. I just have faith that everything will work out the way it is supposed to.
I am still on the job hunt. Had an interview with Youth Advocacy Network today. Wish me luck, if I get the job I will be in Buea until July 2014.
My Peace Corps application is about 1/3 of the way finished, I am waiting for my student loan providers to reply to my message so that I can continue.
All I know is... I am not ready to return to the USofA.
I came to Cameroon to gain a certain amount of experience and I dont feel like I have succeeded in gaining that.
And, when I go home, all I think about is leaving.




Now that I have a desk... be prepared for more consistent updates. 

3 comments:

  1. My Dearest Antonia,

    Mom and I love your updated post. Great to have you back from your R&R. I'm sure it was much needed. The best of health and spirits to you and we look forward to more posts.

    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope one day ill have HALF of your knoewledge and experience!! miss u tons!! xxx
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love = Traveling

    So happy we are both focused more on life than on goals at the moment! I think of the quote you sent me often!

    <3 Sarita

    ReplyDelete