Wednesday, September 23, 2015

10 Things I Learned From a Hospital Bed in Paris

 
In no particular order...

 
1. Be nice to nurses - They are the people you have the most contact with during your stay in a hospital. Their job is hard and they don't get nearly enough credit for the sh#t they put up with, literally sh#t. They can make your visit enjoyable and plesant or a living hell. Luckily I'm on the good side of all my nurses. Among some of them, I even gained the nick-name "la petite Antonia" - I kinda like it :) [no joke: as I'm writing this, I asked for a coffee and room service is closed so the nurse just surprised me with one from the machine!!]

2. Paris isn't that bad. Yea sure I haven't technically seen Paris yet, but I'm definitely surrounded by Parisian and they are so nice. My entire life (aka since I started learning French in 2009) I've been afraid of going to France, especially Paris, because I thought they would just hate me for butchering their language. Truthfully, I was petrified and this was another major reason I always went to West Africa. Turns out some of them actually think my "American accent" is cute! This just goes to show, you never really know a place until you go there and experience it for yourself.

3. Even the lowest quality of food in France is amazing. I don't know if it's the fresh squeezed OJ every morning, the 5 course dinners, the cheese, the variety and selection or the charming smile of Isham, the man who brings me nearly every meal - but whatever it is, I have never been disappointed in the quality of food I've received and in fact more often than not - I'm quite impressed.

4. Whatever you choose to wear, a hospital gown or jeans, always wear a smile. Smiles are like yawns -- they are contagious. Smiles put people at ease, they make others more comfortable in the moment. Smiles make people feel good and if used correctly and strategically, they can change a persons day and/or outlook. Many people don't like the idea of "fake it till you make it" but I think that if you smile, even if it's a fake and forced smile, you attract positivity in your life and people will generally treat you with more kindness.

5. It could be worse. This news hit me really hard. In fact, I'm still swallowing it all. I have a Fellowship that was setting me up for exactly what I wanted to do in Senegal - language learning (French and Wolof), an academic internship and research on women and their changing roles in the society - and suddenly, withing hours, I felt it all slipping away from me. I cried, I joked about "toughing it out" and skipping my flight, I sobbed, I prayed for a different diagnosis and/or a different treatment plan. But this is my reality: I have spondylodiscitis, I have spinal tuberculosis, I have an abscess growing on my spine. These combined have all started to cause scoliosis and deterioration of my disks. But I am alive, I am not paralyzed, and I will get better and I will live a long and happy life. I will get back to Senegal ASAP. I cannot go on to do the work I want to do if I'm not healthy so I need to take care of myself first.

6. I will never travel without travel insurance again. We've all done it, went abroad without insurance... or maybe it was just me? Either way, I've lived and traveled for extended periods of time without any travel or medical insurance. Heck, I even lived in the US for a solid 5 years without health insurance. After the gravity and urgency of this experience, I will never again, if I can help it, be foolish enough to live without insurance again. Literally, I could be un-diagnosed, with excruciating pain, paralyzed and still in Senegal. Because I had insurance, I was able to seek proper care in Senegal without financial fear, be timely medically evacuated and now I am receiving treatment at the best hospital in France. All covered. Not to mention, my sister is on her way as part of the "family reunion" benefits. Thank you Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI), thank you!

7. You are not a prisoner - you are a patient - and as a patient you must have patience. It took me 4 1/2 days to realize that I was allowed to leave my room when I wanted. I know, this may sound stupid but I have never been hospitalized as an adult and no one had mentioned it to me so I spent all my time in my room. Finally I started to explore the hospital taking walks around the garden and drinking coffee in the cafe. One day I was even permitted wine... wine is fine - because its France!

8. News continues even when there is no new news. It plays on loops. To surround myself with as much French as possible, I have the television on nearly 24/7 (except when sleeping). For many this would get old, the repetition of it - but for me, it's useful because the second time I hear the segment or interview, I'm able to check my comprehension from the first time and pick up more things which I missed the first time.

9. There is always work to be done. I don't understand how people get "bored". One can only be truly bored if they aren't putting in an effort to relieve their boredom. There is an entire world of infinite knowledge - and with the internet - this world is at our fingertips! There are thousands of books to read, classes to take online for free, endless news sources and always things to research and learn about. I feel like there is so much for me to do here!!

And the most important...


10. Family and friends are irreplaceable. Getting MRI results showing a possibly paralyzing infection on your spine - being evacuated from a country you fell in love with to hospital - all alone - in a city that you've never been to - in a country where you don't know anyone - all withing 36 hours - can be quite isolating. But greater than the feelings of sadness and loneliness were the feelings of love and support pouring in from my friends and family all over the world. Even the most "independent feminist" needs family and friends. I guess I don't have to worry about the "what if" situations - but I honestly can't fathom going through this experience without the family and friends I have (virtually) by my side. I am so grateful to live with modern technology that allows me to instantly Facetime my Dad, cousin, boyfriend and Aunt; Skype those who haven't 'wised up' and purchased an apple product; and receive thoughtful and encouraging Facebook messages and emails everyday from people who are thinking of me and praying for my rehabilitation. Every time I needed something, or rather someone, I was able to turn to my friends and family. And for that, I am forever grateful.




View of Paris from the 5th floor suite (a nurse snuck me up for the view)

View of the Eiffle Tower from my hospital room

3 comments:

  1. Toni I'm sending you healing vibes! I'm sure it's hard, though you don't show it so much. I was about to type, "Incredibly you are still counting your blessings," but then I thought, "It is not 'incredible' that Toni is in such graceful spirits, it is indeed, very credible!" You are one of those people who can, will, and is handling this with bravery, good perspective, and gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This read was a tour de force of contemplative wisdom. Thank your for this and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Antonia! You truly are one ok a kind! This is a beautiful post, keep your head up honey, you'll be in my thoughts & prayers!

    ReplyDelete