Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Boren Fellowship: Essay 3

Describe your specific goals for language study, including the proficiency level you hope to attain and how you plan to develop your language skills to that level. Describe your past experience in studying or speaking the language (or another language if relevant), as well as your plans for continuing to study and/or speak the language following your Boren Fellowship. 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I began studying French during my undergraduate studies in 2009 and earned a minor in French and Francophone Studies in 2012. Over the course of this three-year period, I studied abroad for 8 months, 4 of which were spent between 6 French-speaking countries throughout West Africa, Senegal included. I also participated in a no-credit Wolof class taught by my Senegalese French professor for one semester.

In 2013, I moved to Montreal, Canada in preparation for working in Cameroon, a bilingual country speaking French and English. In Montreal, I took an intensive French course for 8 weeks. In addition to my schedule of 32 lessons a week, my experience was enhanced with an Afro-Canadian homestay. While in Cameroon, I was able to attain working proficiency in Pidgin English, a local language also known as Creole, after just 6 months of immersion. This was done through active listening, participation and complete immersion.

Domestically, I will be attending 8 weeks of French and Wolof. In French, I currently test as a 2+ and a 0 in Wolof according to the ILR scale used by Boren. By the end of my time in Florida, my overall goal is to reach ILR 3/3+ and ILR 1, respectively. In addition to attending every class, I will focus on improving my pronunciation and my vocabulary, specifically verbs and adjectives. I will insure this goal is accomplished by using new vocabulary daily in my language classes and conversations. The 2015 AFLI Summer Intensive Program Schedule shows a 3-hour time slot for conversation, yet only 1 hour is required. I will take advantage of this extra time by having additional conversations.

During my language study in Dakar I will be able to use my new language skills full time. My first goal, which will be accomplished on a day-to-day basis, is to remain an active listener at all times. As mentioned previously, this skill proved highly valuable when learning Pidgin English. In Senegal, I still have several friends from my visit in 2011 who will enable total immersion and active participation with both French and Wolof. My other two daily goals will be speaking only in Wolof and French to my host family and keeping a small notebook with me to write down new words I hear throughout my day. By the end of this 4-month period I will be confident and flowing in my French conversations, rarely hesitating to find vocabulary, ILR 4. My Wolof conversations will have pauses and some errors, but I will be able to hold conversations about topics I am familiar with, ILR 1+/2.

In my final months as a Boren Fellow, working with Tostan and conducting research will enable me to achieve ILR 4+/5 in French and ILR 2+/3 in Wolof. I will be able to conduct qualitative interviews in French with very limited need of a translator.

After the fellowship is complete, I plan to use and improve my language skills during my federal service requirement and throughout my career with the US government. These language skills are ideal as an employee of USAID, Bureau of African Affairs or several other agencies that do work with French and Wolof speaking populations. In addition to the workplace, most mid-sized towns have French groups that meet for conversations and are easily found online. Because of my proficiency level, I will begin to read novels and scholarly journals in French. There are also online newspapers written in Wolof that will not only enable me to keep my proficiency but it will also encourage me to continue learning new vocabulary. Depending on my location, I may be able to locate native Wolof speakers to meet with as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment