Saturday, September 13, 2014

Reverse Culture Shock and Reflection

It's been about 10 weeks since I left Cameroon.
10 weeks since I've heard "Madam, please! Please, Madam!" from my students.
10 weeks since I've had my favorite drink, Booster.
10 weeks since I've seen my best friends and family that are still there.

My last days in Cameroon went quickly and include one of the best days of my life. My 25th birthday was June 27th and we combined the party to serve as my "send off" as well. In Cameroon, if its your birthday or your event, you are supposed to 'sponsor' AKA pay. I knew this long ago so I had put money aside for my send off/birthday party. We had 10 crates of beer and food for 60 people. I invited about 100 people, several of whom I knew wouldn't be able to get to town. Older friends and colleagues came between 5-7 to enjoy the meal while some of my other younger friends just came out for a drink in the evening. The party went well into the morning and there was no shortage of great music and dancing.







I believe there were about 80-90 people total although many only stopped by momentarily to bid me farewell. I can't describe the love I felt that night as people from all over the country came to say goodbye. Some friends brought me a gift to 'remember them' by and others just brought themselves. I was so happy to be surrounded by these people that I wasn't even able to feel an ounce of sadness knowing it was one of my last days. That was the best birthday of my life and one of the best days of my life. I will never forget it. 




Although I'm 5,604 miles (yes, I looked it up) away from Buea, my connection feels stronger than ever and there hasn't been a day that's passed where I haven't yearned for something 'Cameroonian'. I had a whirlwind of activities when I first got back to the states. I visited people all over Wisconsin, my sister's family in Idaho and then a few relaxing weeks in the last place I called home: Arcata, California before I started on my next chapter of graduate school in Vermont. Everything happened so fast.




I took a look around and realized I hadn't experienced the reverse culture shock I always do. You know, the one that hits harder than the initial culture shock of getting to a new country. I wasn't overwhelmed at the size of grocery stores, I enjoyed my hot showers and I wasn't particularly bothered at the ignorance, passivity or disengagement of my fellow friends/Americans. I've been on a high since I got home where I just can't stop smiling and loving everything and everyone and every situation I'm in. People would often ask me, "How is it being home? How are you adjusting?" I would respond by telling them, "I haven't had any negative reactions or felt reverse culture shock yet. I dont know if I've just dealt with it so many times that I'm use to it; or maybe I've been too busy to have it hit me yet and when it does it will be like a semi."




The one word I can't get out of my mouth is...
"Ashia"

This is the one word that keeps me connected to Cameroon. It's an everyday reminder of my time in the country and the overwhelming hospitality of nearly every single person I ever met. Ashia has several different meanings. Generally it means 'sorry' but its a much more weighted word than the English translations. This word comes packed with empathy, sympathy and genuine concern.

You can use it in nearly every situation:
When you see someone carrying something
If someone is walking someone
Someone is late to an event
A person has lost a loved one
The person is sick (malaria, flu, etc)
You forgot to do something for a person (their birthday, bring them something, visit them, etc)
Anytime someone complains about something (studying, traveling, no money, etc)
You offend someone

As I explained, I'ts more than saying sorry. It's acknowledging the situation of the person and feeling for them, showing compassion and empathy towards the situation. It's beautiful :) The correct response when someone says "Ashia" is simply "Thank you".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I've started my self designed Masters of Arts in Intercultural Service Leadership and Management at the School of International Training (SIT Graduate Institute) I wont have too much time to write on my blog. I do intent to update it here and there with relevant papers that I wrote for school as well as translating old essays from my Study Abroad in 2011.  In 9 months, after I finish the on campus part of my MA, I will have to go abroad for my "Reflective Phase" or my Practicum. Its minimum 6 months but something tells me my posting will be at least a year. I've also applied to be part of the Masters International program with the Peace Corps. If I decided on this, I would be placed in the PC for 2 years as my practicum. Alternatively, I want a paid job (as most people). Some interesting things about my school and colleagues:
  • We are the 50th anniversery class for SIT Graduate Institute, PIM74.
  • SIT started as the training grounds for Peace Corps Volunteers
  • Amongst my 135 (total) colleagues, we have 18 countries represented through international students and 48 languages spoken on campus. 
  • The school is part of World Learning which, well, just click the link. THEY ARE AMAZING.
  • I got a work study position working with my Cameroonian sister as the Admissions Assistant for Africa/Middle East in the SIT Study Abroad office. Check out all of their programs!
  • My colleagues are hands down the coolest people on the planet. Some speak up to 8 languages, some have traveled to 34 countries (when they are only in their 20s), several have started their own NGO/non-profit and more.
  • I am constantly surrounded by intelligent people who are all working to make the world a better place. Good vibes all around.
SIT

Enjoying the outdoors before the snow hits!

My house! Affectionately known as The Sunflower House.


2 comments:

  1. Antonia, I'm so proud of you! Please come back and tell my students of your experiences any time you're in Hurley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be there ASAP :) Hope everything is going great! Take care.

      Delete