Sunday, February 9, 2014

Unexpected Dentist Appointment AND Really Exciting Upcoming Events!


Episode at the Dentist:

While I was wandering through the Northern regions of Cameroon, I had a filling come out!! I dont know where or when, but suddenly I noticed it wasn't there anymore.

I did some research and decided to be sure I cleaned it out really well after every time I ate. Sooner or later, I knew I would need to get it taken care of. I had heard of a dentist in Yaounde, but that was such a far an expensive trip. I asked my trusted American doctor volunteers at the Seventh Day Adventist Hospital here in Buea if they knew any dentist in the area. They said there was one in Mutengene which is only about 15-20min from Buea, a 300cfa (70cents) taxi ride. I decided to go for it!

 When I got dropped off in Mutengene, I had no idea where I was going. So I just started asking around "Where is the dentist?" "I want to get me teeth looked at?" "Dentist office?" : saying all while pointing to my teeth. Finally, someone understood me. They pointed in the direction and said, "Tell the taxi drive 'dental entrance'." And that was that.

This is what I walked up to...

Not the most welcoming dentist office I have ever been too, but surely one I will never forget.
As I entered the waiting room, there were about 12 others waiting to see the doctor who had not yet arrived from Douala. Appointments started at 10am and it was now after 11am. Finally the doc showed up carrying a small kit with some dental tools. Sooner or later I was called back to the examination room. I explained my situation and he invited me to sit down in the dentist chair that I'm sure my Dad would remember from way back in the day. It wasn't adjustable, it was just there, how it was. My nerves had me nearly shaking.

With no gloves, no face mask/mouth protector he began to look inside my mouth with instruments that had unquestionably not been sterilized let alone cleaned since the last patient. He then said he needed to clean the tooth and put in a 'temporary' filling to make sure there was no problem (ie: infection) when putting in the permanent one the following week. The dental assistant woman turned on the generator and soon another spinning unsanitary tool was in my mouth 'cleaning' my teeth. It hurt. The doctor then proceeded to shove cotton soaked with hydrogen peroxide into the hole where the filling had been and sealed it with a cement like liquid. There ya have it - a temporary filling. Then I was on my way home.

The following week I came back. They said my dentist appointment was at 10am but I knew better. I arrived at 10:45am and the doctor was still not there. Soon he entered. Again, with no gloves or face mask he started digging into my mouth. This time I got a permanent filling. When he had finally finished, he asked me to bite down. I tried. I failed. I told him, "It is not fitting, I can't bite properly." So I laid back down and he started chipping away at the filling little by little. He stopped and had me try again. Same thing. I told him again. This time, he said to me, "It must be psychological." Yes, that's it... After 24 years on Earth and 10+ fillings I don't know when my bite isn't correct. I just left it as it was and went on my way, no use arguing. Total price for both visits was 1,00cfa (@2) for consultation + 10,000cfa ($20) for the filling = 22$. Not bad!

That was one experience I hope I never have go through again.

*Side Note/Random Thought/Story: Its difficult at times because Cameroonians have a different accent and put emphasis on different parts of the word. So we could all be saying the same word and we wont be understanding each other. For example, say the word spaghetti. No really, say spaghetti out loud right now. Now say "spag" (A as in Auto). Now say "a". Now say "tea". Now say them one after another, spag - a - tea. This is what my friend was saying to me while he was telling me what he was going to cook me for dinner. I was so confused... what kind of tea is spag? Nope, it was spaghetti. He was cooking me spaghetti, not some tea called spag.

Here are some really exciting upcoming events:
  • February 11th = Youth Day
This is a day dedicated to the youth of the country. It is a public holiday and there will be no schools. On this day, Nursery, Primary and Secondary Schools all around Buea will march in a parade! There will also be local youth groups and other organizations participating. Yup, and you guessed it - Yours truley - YOUTH ADVOCACY NETWORK - will have our own group marching with awesome banners. Pictures to come!!
  • February 15th = Race of Hope


As you may know, Buea is home to Mount Cameroon which is the tallest Mountain in Central/West Africa (4,095m/13,353ft) and second highest on the continent just behind Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. The mountain has several nicknames: internationally: “The Roof of Central and West Africa”; locally: "Mount Fako" and "Mongo-ma-Lobo" meaning the Mountain of Thunder in the local dialect, Bakweri. The entire massif is known as "Mongo-mo-Ndemi" meaning Mountain of Greatness. The Mountain is of a volcanic origin and rises from the Atlantic Ocean and presents a sequence of vegetation forms like mangrove forests and freshwater swamps at sea level, evergreen lowland forests, sub ­mountain and mountain forests to mountain and sub alpine grasslands (savannah) above 2000 m.

The race, as you probably guessed, is a race to the summit!! The fastest recorded time of a hike (run) from Checkpoint, Molyko (700m) to the Summit (4095m) is about 4h 20min!! Average hike time for tourist is three days -- I would be lucky to even reach the summit! This year they have given the race back to Guinness (yes the beer) to be organized so everyone is expecting a spectacular event. There is a trade fair at the starting location which kicked off just last night and will continue until next weekend. I have a friend who guides up the mountain, Thompy - his father (who is of late) is the record holder!!

It has been raining every now and again here in Buea with a lot of cloud coverage. Many people say that rainy season will come early (how unfortunate seeing as how the season stayed late last year). My friend was telling me that, "There is no way it will rain on the race day." I said, "How can you predict that." He replied by saying, "Everyone knows that Guinness will go to all the Bakweri Chiefs around the mountain and pay them to hold the rains. Just wait, as soon as the race has finished, it will be raining the following weekends.". How's that for some ancient traditional meteorology?
  • March 8th = International Women's Day 


Last year I missed this day by TWO days! I was so bummed. I still got a skirt made with the fabric of that year. I like the idea of Women's Day but at the same time I personally feel like it is just a show. Most people who participate dont even realize what it is supposed to represent. Not to mention, women get ONE day a year?

This is a holiday here in Cameroon where women and men alike buy the special themed fabric, sew dresses, shirts, pants, skirts, etc and march together in celebration of women. The photo caption above is last year's theme. This year it is "Inspiring Change". Please, take time to learn about the significance and seriousness of this day by exploring HERE and HERE

I plan to give a special lesson the week prior to the celebration and hold an essay contest in my YAN classes. The lesson is still in the making as is the essay requirements but I think a day like this is worth taking a break from our regular work to learn about. The winner(s) of the contest will be featured on my blog :)

YAN Students - Keep up with activities here

Please, if anyone has suggestions or comments on this 
lesson/essay contest - share!

1 comment:

  1. What made the whole encounter quite terrifying is that you weren't sure if the tools he used were sanitized beforehand. I hope you were able to get that filling checked afterwards, especially since you felt that it wasn't a great fit. How are things doing now, btw?

    Annette Freeman @ Bozeman Dental Assoc.

    ReplyDelete